![]() |
| My first ever beard grooming kit has arrived |

My current beard came about almost by accident. I hadn't shaved for the better part of the week and Rachel remarked that my stubble - complete with grey hairs - was looking a bit distinguished.
So, I thought, why not give it a go?
Perhaps it's because I'm thinning on top these days (one of the reasons I wear my battered NASA cap a lot of the time), but - for the first time - I'm actually quite comfortable with the idea of growing a beard.
I have to agree with Rachel (and not just because I'm legally contracted to) that it does suit me.
Then, on Saturday, I got to talking to Richard and Pete, a pair of professional beard-growers, and we got into the whole topic of "maintenance" - lip trimming, oils etc.
And so the next day I went straight to Amazon and ordered myself a "Beard Grooming Kit - with Beard Growth Oil, Beard Shampoo, Balm, Comb, Scissors".
Now I feel like a grown-up. Or perhaps I've been watching too many Westerns? I can see myself, one day, going full Sam Elliot...
However, while sorting through my jumbled box of old photographs (no digital files in those days, folks) I came across a picture from university (about 25 years ago) where I appeared to have some kind of proto-beard (left).
Again, I suspect that didn't last too long.
I'm not sure how long the current beard will last, but now I'm invested in its maintenance there's a decent chance that it will be more than just be a fleeting fad.
Now I feel like a grown-up. Or perhaps I've been watching too many Westerns? I can see myself, one day, going full Sam Elliot...
In the years before I went to university I sported a full beard for a short time, but the one picture of me I remember from that time appears to have been consigned to the almighty landfill.
However, while sorting through my jumbled box of old photographs (no digital files in those days, folks) I came across a picture from university (about 25 years ago) where I appeared to have some kind of proto-beard (left).
Again, I suspect that didn't last too long.
I'm not sure how long the current beard will last, but now I'm invested in its maintenance there's a decent chance that it will be more than just be a fleeting fad.
![]() |
| My "beard grooming" station! |


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment