.jpg) |
| "I could do this all day!" |
Tonbridge Comic Con & Toy Fair has returned, with (
I believe) different people running it, eschewing celebrity signings for more cosplayers, more photo ops, and more traders.
It must be a good five years since there was a
Comic-Con at the Angel Centre in Tonbridge (
that time I got flustered meeting Hannah Spearritt from Primeval and S Club 7 and got her to sign my copy of the Primeval roleplaying game), but this was quite a different affair.
In a strange - but comforting - kind of way, this fresh iteration reminded me a lot of
Cavalier (
our annual wargames show), but with people dressed as superheroes and anime characters and staged cinematic photo opportunities in lieu of wargaming displays.
The time we spent at the comic-con was really enjoyable, I got to chat to a load of people (
stall holders and cosplayers) and - as you can see - Rachel took loads of pictures.
Today's event was 'nicely busy' (
enough people to make me think it was a success for the organisers, but not so many that it felt claustrophobic or made getting to any particular place a struggle).
This definitely helped me adjust to the situation, and I surprised myself with how conversational I was with the many people I spoke to. Normally, I hold back, for fear of my aphasia tripping me up, but this felt really relaxed.
Major kudos to the Captain America cosplayer who we met before we got inside the event. He embodied the spirit of Cap nicely and, after he remarked on my t-shirt, we talked enthusiastically about James Gunn's impending
Superman movie.
Meanwhile, inside the Angel Centre, the chap who'd 3D printed then built the array of animated
Star Wars droids was clearly a Doc Brown-level genius.
Much to my (and Rachel's) amazement I didn't actually buy anything at the show (although there was some great art, action figures, and prop replicas that caught my eye), although I did get a free 28mm goblin from a man promoting promoting his self-published fantasy novel.
Rachel treated herself to a "Trust Me, I'm A Dogtor" pin badge to go on her NHS lanyard.
We may have stayed for only an hour, but we had a great time.
The only minor quibble I would point out is that for a COMIC convention, there was no one selling actual comics, which was a shame.
No comments:
Post a Comment