Thursday, May 15, 2025

THROWBACK THURSDAY: ABBA



At what age do we start developing our own tastes in music?

The earliest band I remember being obsessed with was ABBA.

After they won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974 (when I was seven), ABBA were everywhere. As well as their music, I got my hands on issues of the ABBA fan club magazine, a digest-sized publication that I guess was available in news agents, as well as an ABBA colouring book, posters etc

Agnetha became one of my earliest crushes, although as I grew older my loyalties shifted to Frida, but these days my tastes have swung back towards Agnetha again.

Agnetha Faltskog

I have to wonder if part of my youthful passion for ABBA was a subconscious rebellion against my parents' tastes, as they loved their rock 'n' roll; mum was a massive Elvis fan, for instance.

I didn't truly grok their music until I was teenager and my personal tastes had broadened to include The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Stranglers, Devo, The Very Things, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Tangerine Dream, Velvet Underground, AC/DC and a diverse host of bands whose names now elude me.

My favourite ABBA tune? Eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc