.jpg)
Reminiscing about Deadlands earlier this year reignited my love for this game-changing setting. While I still have a number of my original books (from the pre-Savage Worlds era), I had none of the later Savage Worlds material... until today!
Although April is supposed to be my month of "no impulse purchases" (just a few pre-orders, like yesterday's Al Swearingen book), I couldn't resist this box set when it popped up in one of my eBay saved searches.
Although I've looked at Savage Worlds bits and bobs over the years, I've never really had a handle on the system or even considered presenting it to the Tuesday Knights as an option.
Rather "fortuitously" one of my last 'impulse' purchases, on the final day of March, had been the hardbacked core rule book for the latest iteration of Savage Worlds.
As my superhero campaign with the Tuesday Knights is just taking off, I have no immediate plans to switch horses midstream (let's see how the gang get on fighting villains on the streets of Knight City for a few more 'issues' first), but I'm glad to know I have this hefty Deadlands box set in my collection now.
Fit to bursting with cards, bennies (poker chips that act as "fate tokens"), a new set of dice, a map of the Weird West, ammo counter dials, a hardback setting supplement, and a solid gamesmaster's screen (with an adventure booklet), the Bay trader I purchased this off of hadn't opened any of the contents, so everything was still sealed in plastic.
I love games that go that extra mile and Savage Worlds has always seemed to thrive on its useful, additional widgets (cards, tokens, counters etc) to help gamesmasters and players (gotta love an "ammo counter dial"!).
Honestly, I'm not so into the steampunk of it all at the moment, but Deadlands remains one of the most influential creations in my roleplaying development - even if I've never actually played in the setting or run it - that I'm sure, if nothing else, it can help inform my Dead Man's Hand skirmish gaming plans.





No comments:
Post a Comment