Monday, April 21, 2025

Commemorating Barney The Bunny


This weekend was largely about saying 'goodbye' to our beloved Barney The Bunny, who died on January 29.

He was buried under his run, but I wanted to celebrate his life with a small rockery (rock garden) over his grave.

The first thing Rachel and I did on Saturday was move his metal-framed run, which - after almost six years here - had become quite firmly wedged into the ground.

Then I dug out a 1m by 1m area, about four of five centimetres deep, which we filled with pebbles. A weed-proof membrane (generously supplied by Rachel's parents) was laid over that, then I carefully placed the big stones that would form the core of the rockery.

Rachel then filled in the holes around the main rocks with the plants we had chosen and compost.

Finally a layer of smaller rocks was spread around the area to cover the membrane and fill in any other gaps.

The final job was to place the commemorative reclining rabbit statue, which has sat in my gamesroom for weeks - as it was the first thing I brought for this memorial garden project.

I’m immensely proud of the job we did, as well the planning and shopping beforehand of the rocks, gravel, plants, and statue. 

The only thing left is to get an engraved plaque, and Rachel has her eyes on one on Etsy.


Then, on Easter Sunday, Rachel's parents came round to help us dismantle Barney's old hutch, as well as do some other gardening stuff for us.

Rachel was also planting up the new, large pots which would take the place of the hutch, I helped a bit with some clearing up and Alice mainly demanded treats.

We also put Barney's run on Facebook Marketplace and it sold within three minutes, the buyer coming to collect it about 45 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc