Thursday, August 6, 2026

ALL HAIL JASON & THE BLOGONAUTS!!!

Blonde-haired Jason leads his Argonauts from the front
Many months ago, inspired by listening to Stephen Fry read his versions of Troy and The Odyssey on audiobook, and my lifelong love of the works of Ray Harryhausen, I was noodling around with the idea of a roleplaying campaign - or wargame - set in Mythical/Bronze Age Greece.

Not only did this inspire to track down the name of the mysterious roleplaying game Gublin and I had tried back in our youth, but I also invested in a couple of packs of Wargames Foundry miniatures from their Argonauts and Mythical Heroes line. Added to these were a couple of Wargames Illustrated's Giants in Miniature figures (which they no longer appear to be selling): Achilles and, I think, Patroclus.

Being proactive at that moment, as soon as the figures arrived I packaged them all back up and mailed them off to my painter-of-choice, Matt at Glenbrook Games and Painting Service.

This week they came back, after Matt had worked his usual magic on them, and our games table was transported back to Ancient Greece for a quick photoshoot.

"Will you play with them?" Rachel asked after admiring the miniatures. "Of course," I replied as ideas raced around my head for sliding Ancient Greeks into the Northern European Mediaeval world of Dragonbane (my current roleplaying system of choice). 

I also quite fancy giving the Warriors of Athena wargames rules a try - but, currently, they're quite a way down my reading list.

Time-lost mighty Achilles brings up the rear, aided by Patroclus and Herakles

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, superheroes, comic books, westerns, horror, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc