![]() |
| The sun, earlier this week, through my new solar filter for my phone |
Where we are the sun should be just over 90 per cent covered for the 30 minutes from after 7pm.
But that's not all that's going on in the heavens this evening: in a once-in-a-lifetime, never heard of in recorded history, the eclipse is happening on the same night as the peak of the annual Perseid meteor shower.
Complementing that - although totally unconnected - is the planetary alignment of Mars, Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune across the horizon.
For those in the States:
The amateur space nut in me is very excited to - hopefully - see the eclipse in particular, as the next comparable event isn't due until 2090... and I'm not sure if I'll be around for that.
I even invested in some certified protective eclipse glasses for Rachel and I, which came packaged with filters to hold over the camera lens on our phones so we can safely take pictures as well.
However, I've also read and watched enough cosmic and apocalyptic horror to know that this is exactly the time the Great Old Ones are likely to arise, zombies will crawl out of their graves, or triffids will escape confinement and start turning us all into mulch.
Have fun, be safe, be sensible... and listen out for chants of:
I even invested in some certified protective eclipse glasses for Rachel and I, which came packaged with filters to hold over the camera lens on our phones so we can safely take pictures as well.
However, I've also read and watched enough cosmic and apocalyptic horror to know that this is exactly the time the Great Old Ones are likely to arise, zombies will crawl out of their graves, or triffids will escape confinement and start turning us all into mulch.
Have fun, be safe, be sensible... and listen out for chants of:
"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

No comments:
Post a Comment