Sunday, June 21, 2026

HEALTH UPDATE: Is This What My Future Holds?

Image by wal_172619 from Pixabay

After all the general positivity in the wake of my steroid injections last week, I got a call from my GP's surgery this week saying I needed to come in for a repeat blood test.

You may recall I'd had a VERY painful blood extraction, a day or so after I had my spinal jabs. This, it turns out, was to test my lipids (which had improved, yayyyy) but also my liver function.

The latter showed signs of an increase in Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT). This could be due to an infection, some of my medication, a host of reasons. So, my GP - who never passes up the opportunity for a blood test - wants to double-check it next month.

Rachel stressed that it could be something as simple as the vast quantity of prescription medication I am taking and told me not to catastrophise. 

Of course, I did. Although, to be honest, not as much as I have done in the past. I think I'm just resigned to the fact that this is my future now.

To be honest, I might as well rely on healing crystals, reiki, or leeches, I (half) joked with Rachel.

Anyway, while I'm still waiting for the steroid injections to kick in and take the edge off my discomfort, I have another appointment with the phlebotomist to look forward to in a few weeks.

On a more positive note, ahead of the impending heat wave this week, Rachel, Alice and I made it to yesterday's Home Front event at Hever Castle, full of living history displays, period music and dancing, and 1940's re-enactors.

Bigger and better than the last time we attended the event, there were more tents, more people dressed up, generally more of everything. As usual Alice attracted a lot of interest with people wanting to know her breed and if it was okay for them (or their children) to pet her. She, of course, relished the attention.

The heat got to me a bit at first, but I downed a lot of water, took things slowly, stayed in the shade as much as I could, had some great ice cream, and we enjoyed a fantastic afternoon.

The dancers, as ever at such events, were phenomenal
The mandatory ice cream break
The mandatory shot of me with an American army jeep
Oh, and there was a Spitfire on the lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc