Monday, April 6, 2026

MUSICAL MONDAY: Lulu (Mrs Green Apples)


This is a special music video, produced by Toho Animation, for Mrs Green Apple's Lulu, the opening theme song of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, season two.

2 comments:

  1. I hear a lot about Frieren, but I admit I have no idea what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immortal elf mage Frieren was part of a small adventuring party that undertook a 10-year mission to slay the Demon King. Then they all went their way. Fifty years later, Frieren discovers her former colleagues - including human fighter Himmel The Hero, who she was possibly in love with - are all dead or on the brink of death. She wants to commune with the ghost of Himmel but the only place she would be able to do this is at the northernmost tip of the continent. So, she sets out on this new adventure, on the way picking up some young companions, former wards of one of her old party members, including Fern, a stoic mage, and Stark, a cowardly fighter. On their journey they undertake a number of side quests that earn Frieren magical tomes containing seemingly useless spells.

      The first - 28 episode - season Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is available on Netflix (which is where I first saw it), while season two, which is only 10 episodes, is - currently - only on Crunchyroll.

      Season three is slated for late next year and was announced at the end of season two.

      The anime is primarily a cosy, lyrical slice-of-life yarn, broken up with moments of extreme violence. The main theme - to me - is a fascinating meditation on the different approaches to life between immortals and mortals.

      I didn't know what I was getting into when I started season one on Netflix, but was in love with the show by the end of the first episode.

      Delete

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc