Thursday, February 5, 2026

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Bitten By A (Non-Radioactive) Spider

Image by Cosplay_Images from Pixabay
In late August, 2023, I woke one morning to realise my hand had been bitten by some insect, possibly a spider.

I wasn't tightly bound in webbing like Frodo after his encounter with Shelob nor, rather disappointedly, did I later develop spider-themed superpowers (à la Spider-Man).

The morning after the bite before
By the next day the dome-like structure that had grown where I was bitten was very itchy and my hand had puffed up a bit. But I coated the bite in Savlon, kept it covered as best I could, and about a week later the wound had gone down and nearly vanished.

While I have to say I feel I handled this odd situation well (given my usual habit of catastrophising and freaking out about any kind of change, particularly in regards to matters of health), it was still an unusual week.

Puffing up!
This isn't something I recall ever happening before and I had to rely on Google for medical advice and guidance.

The lasting impact has been that I am now very wary about going to sleep with my hand under the pillow, or even hanging over the end of the bed. Which is daft because if an insect, for whatever reason, wants to nip you while you're sleeping it's going to do it!

Return to normality

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc