
The arrival this week of the The Planet of The Apes Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook and the supplementary ANSA Files marks a major turning point in my lifelong habit of buying gaming books.
If I can stick to my goals, this pair of gorgeous hardback books will be the last I buy that are not directly connected to a game I'm running or seriously planning to.
As beautifully designed and illustrated as these two meaty tomes are, I have no expectations of ever actually running the system (it uses West End Games' old d6 dice pool mechanics, which were never my cup of tea as a potential gamemaster).
I've purchased these purely as a completionist, as someone who has loved - and been mildly obsessed by - the original, classic Planet of The Apes movies since he was a little kid.
Sure, it wouldn't surprise me when I get round to reading them more thoroughly if I don't find ideas, maybe even rules, that I can lift for a future game unconnected with this simian franchise.
But, ultimately, these are resource books and artefacts, not rule books I can ever see myself busting out for the Tuesday Knights.
And - as I said a moment ago, if I can stick to my guns - these will be the last I purchase in this manner, the last I get to just "look at" rather than actually use as The Lawgiver intended.
I know it's a pretty standard aspect of the roleplaying hobby, but it's one I can no longer justify personally either for financial or space reasons (as both are becoming increasingly tight).
Going forward, I intend to keep a narrow focus on Twilight Sword as the game I intend to run next for the Tuesday Knights (although I have a back-up system if Twilight Sword, for some reason, doesn't live up to my expectations. It's a system I already own and have run once for the group, and they really enjoyed it).
If I can stick to my goals, this pair of gorgeous hardback books will be the last I buy that are not directly connected to a game I'm running or seriously planning to.
As beautifully designed and illustrated as these two meaty tomes are, I have no expectations of ever actually running the system (it uses West End Games' old d6 dice pool mechanics, which were never my cup of tea as a potential gamemaster).
I've purchased these purely as a completionist, as someone who has loved - and been mildly obsessed by - the original, classic Planet of The Apes movies since he was a little kid.
Sure, it wouldn't surprise me when I get round to reading them more thoroughly if I don't find ideas, maybe even rules, that I can lift for a future game unconnected with this simian franchise.
But, ultimately, these are resource books and artefacts, not rule books I can ever see myself busting out for the Tuesday Knights.
And - as I said a moment ago, if I can stick to my guns - these will be the last I purchase in this manner, the last I get to just "look at" rather than actually use as The Lawgiver intended.
I know it's a pretty standard aspect of the roleplaying hobby, but it's one I can no longer justify personally either for financial or space reasons (as both are becoming increasingly tight).
Going forward, I intend to keep a narrow focus on Twilight Sword as the game I intend to run next for the Tuesday Knights (although I have a back-up system if Twilight Sword, for some reason, doesn't live up to my expectations. It's a system I already own and have run once for the group, and they really enjoyed it).
![]() |
| Sample page from the Core Rulebook |
![]() |
| Sample page from The ANSA (American National Space Administration) Files |


No comments:
Post a Comment