Monday, February 2, 2026

The Roll of the Ancient Mariner: Dice, Dice Every Where...

Of course I love dice. I'm a gamer. I have way more dice than I could ever possibly need, yet I still keep buying them. Like I said: I'm a gamer!

The latest acquisitions for my infinite dice pool are all six-siders, but are devoid of numbers.

The first is a giant - 1.5" x 1.5" per face - red, wooden "yes/no" die. Why flip a coin when you can roll a die, amirite?

Now, as gamesmaster, I can divest myself of any responsibility and blame the die.

Is there a guard coming round the corner as you try and climb through the merchant's window this evening? <rolls big red die> The die says: "yes".

Next up is a hessian bag of wooden cubes with letters on (a couple have 'yes' or 'no' on them). They are pictured below.

These are possibly a dice-based iteration of the classic Ouija board, although - deliberately - no instructions were included, so you can use them how you like.

Don't want to accidentally summon Captain Howdy in the middle of a game!!!

I'm picturing the player-characters encountering a fortune teller armed with a set of these, generating random, on-the-fly predictions that will (somehow) come true later in the campaign.

I welcome this opportunity to hone my improv skills (or lack thereof), conjuring up meaning from a splatter of random letters. It is human nature - apophenia - to see patterns in randomness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc