| Great White Ape of Barsoom (picture by Nick) |
It was my first time in a couple of years and while I wasn't feeling one hundred percent, I was determined that my excitement would see me through. And, thanks to Nick stepping in as my ad hoc 'carer' (in the absence of Rachel, who was at home with Alice), I managed an impressive (for me) three hours at the show.
The highlight of the day came early, when Nick and I had barely seen a quarter of the displays and traders, as a gentleman from the Maidstone Wargames Society invited us to join in their Labyrinths of Mars participation game.
This was one I'd mentally flagged ahead of time, looking at the list of games on the show's website, because - as I suspected - it was John Carter themed.
The game was a reskinning of the classic family board game Labyrinth, which I'd played with Nick and his son, Alec, several years ago. However, this iteration included fighting and treasure hunting, and was scaled up to feature 28mm miniatures.
![]() |
| My dynamic duo of Barsoomian warriors before battle commenced |
![]() |
| The ever-moving Labyrinth of Mars |
![]() |
| Nick's team (top) make a strategic withdrawal from my gang (bottom) |
There were four of playing and we each had four objectives to find before we could escape the labyrinth, be they treasures, allies, or boosts, and you could earn special cards as well that gave you extra abilities or bonuses.
I'd got three of my objectives (a couple of artifacts and a Barsoomian prince), without making too much of a scene about it, but the last thing I needed for my 'collection' was The Great White Ape (pictured above).
The only problem was The Ape had just joined Nick's team, as Nick had played a "brain transfer" card on it, giving it a Barsoomian brain... rather than a raging great ape's brain!
So, I had to attack Nick's party! Aided by the prince, we overpowered Nick's characters (and with some lucky die rolls) and the ape opted to join my "stronger" team.
Then on my next turn (again more by luck than judgement), I was able to slide the walls of the maze to open a straight avenue to the exit... where I was declared not just the winner, but WARLORD OF MARS.
I suspect Nick is never going to forget how I robbed him of potential victory!
.jpg)
After this, we resumed our patrol of the main hall, and the first person we bumped into - who was demonstrating his grid-based Vietnam War game - was Paul of Pazoot, a wargaming YouTube channel I have recently discovered (thanks to his work with Big Lee of Miniature Adventures).
This was my first - in-person - encounter with an actual YouTuber.
Paul's 'Nam game, which he was putting on with the East Kent Wargames Society, will be the second of his Battle Chronicle range of narrow-focused rules sets across different historical periods. The first is 1812: Retreat from Moscow, which Big Lee is working on.
Here follows a brief selection of some of the other games being played at Cavalier:
Of course, as well as gaming, these events are also for shopping. Both Nick and I, in our own way, were surprisingly restrained this year. While Nick didn't buy anything, I managed to restrict myself to items for my Dead Man's Hand (Wild West) game.This was my first - in-person - encounter with an actual YouTuber.
Paul's 'Nam game, which he was putting on with the East Kent Wargames Society, will be the second of his Battle Chronicle range of narrow-focused rules sets across different historical periods. The first is 1812: Retreat from Moscow, which Big Lee is working on.
Here follows a brief selection of some of the other games being played at Cavalier:
![]() |
| Shepway Gamers' The Englishman's Castle: a 28mm Wars of the Roses conflict |
![]() |
| The Kent & Sussex Dungeons & Dragons and RPG Club had a glorious set-up... |
![]() |
| ... their gorgeous 28mm scale ship reminded me that no one was selling Blood & Plunder |
![]() |
| Milton Hundred Wargames Club's The Mog '93: Task Force Ranger in Somalia |
![]() |
| You can never go wrong with an enormous Star Wars space battle (Friday Night Firefight Club) |
I found myself mainly being drawn towards terrain, as I have enough unpainted gunfighters etc already, waiting to sent off for painting.
| Me admiring Beowulf Miniatures Printing 3D printing range of Western buildings (picture by Nick) |
![]() |
| Amazing fantasy terrain at surprisingly affordable prices - I'm impressed I resisted |
![]() |
| Pumpernickle Games do some lovely stuff - I hope to get some desert bits from them at a later date, but, in the meantime, who doesn't want their own Stonehenge? |
![]() |
| My haul from Cavalier 2026 |
It was a great time and I'm glad I persevered. I'd wanted to play at least one participation game, but wasn't sure if I was up to it. So I'm delighted it happened to me one I was looking forward to checking out.
I did have one "funny turn" - after squatting down to look at some items that were being displayed on the floor, then bobbing up again. But Nick kindly offered me his arm and helped me to a chair, where I could rest a while.
I did have one "funny turn" - after squatting down to look at some items that were being displayed on the floor, then bobbing up again. But Nick kindly offered me his arm and helped me to a chair, where I could rest a while.
Once I got home (Rachel came and picked me up), I was totally zonked out for the rest of the day, then had a rough night of near-continuous coughing. But, you know what, it was so worth it.
I had a fantastic time with one of my oldest friends, we got to play an awesome wargame... which I won, we chatted with a ton of people, and I got myself some more bits for my PROJECT 60 wargame of choice.
And I've already have made a shopping list of future bits and bobs I can order from these traders online.
Below, you will see a 17-minute video by Model Paint Whatever of the sights and sounds of the day, which shows off way more of the games on display than I have:
And here's a piece from Big Lee himself about Cavalier:
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)








I'm glad it was worth the effort...looks like a blast! I could spend HOURS just looking at tiny versions of big things.
ReplyDelete(Also, a random aside...I find it very interesting that the Black Hawk Down story seems to have quickly become a standard scenario in miniatures gaming. I guess it was an easily grokable real-life event that happens to fit perfectly into a skirmish game...?🤷♂️ For some reason, it's always surprised me that something so recent would be played out so often...)
It was a wonderful day out. Nick was quoted later, by his wife, as saying it felt like the old days!
DeleteThe Black Hawk Down scenario conforms to the classic "base under siege" (to bring in a Doctor Who reference) that has been a wargaming staple from Rorke's Drift to Helm's Deep. A small band of plucky heroes facing down seemingly endless waves of attackers.
The real events happened in 1992 (34 years ago!), so I'm not sure that counts as "recent" any longer. The Second World War was within living memory when I was born and by the age of 10 I was wargaming it with Airfix models, less than 34 years after the end of the war.
It wouldn't surprise me to learn that people are already "gaming" the war in Ukraine, although, personally, I feel that current wars are verboten when it comes to gaming.