Monday, March 23, 2026

Hiking Up A Hill To Touch A Tree

Our objective: the majestically scrawny tree at the centre of the ridgeline 
As promised, the tree safaris have resumed.

Rachel, Alice and I went for a walk around the extensive grounds of the Penshurst Place estate yesterday, allowing me to take more pictures of interesting-looking trees and a surprising number of small lakes.

I think these bodies of water were private fishing lakes.

The afternoon's ramble turned out to be not only my longest walk to date - about 45 or 50 minutes-worth of exercise - but also the most challenging.

I spotted a lone tree at the top of a hill and ambitiously declared that as my objective. 

Up the hill we go!
We hiked all the way up the hill, then left the beaten track, waded through deep grass (only Alice's head was visible at times) and made sure both Rachel and I touched the tree - to prove (to ourselves) that we had made it.

After admiring the gorgeous landscape arrayed before us, we headed back down the hill, our target now being the Porcupine Pantry Café (and gift shop) in the grounds of the stately home.

After a rewarding bite to eat (I had a gorgeous sausage roll and Rachel a slice of cake), we wound our way home, but were both incredibly knacked by all the exertion - hence my posting this now, rather than last night. It was a good, satisfying exhaustion though, buoyed by the knowledge of a job well done.

Sure, it's not mountaineering, but I'm still slowly building up my strength, stamina and stability.

I made it - the view across the estate from up there was magnificent

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc