Thursday, August 7, 2025

THROWBACK THURSDAY: I Don't Know Much About Art, But I Know What I Like


One New Year's Eve - at a virtual gathering of Rachel's friends during COVID - the discussion came up about what "arty posters" people had on their walls at university, with Klimt's The Kiss and Kandinsky's Concentric Circles proving to be the highbrow hits.

I didn't really go for "art" per se, my final university digs having up a Manic Street Preachers poster and a Star Wars one.

However, I vividly recall that in my 'cosy', downstairs room in our previous Bournemouth residence, Len & Jenny's House, the wall over my bed was decorated with the classy cherubs poster (a doctored version of Raphael's pair of chubby cherubs) pictured above.

Honestly, I have no idea why. I guess I must have thought it was funny. Or some kind of satirical statement on university life!

I also remember the cupboard in that room that I decorated. One door was coated in pictures of Shirley Manson (from Garbage), while the other had a full-page advert cut out of a newspaper that featured the lyrics of R.E.M.'s Everybody Hurts (one of the most beautiful songs ever written and guaranteed to bring me to tears).

I have a feeling that the advert was probably for the Samaritans - or a similar organisation - and was thus a wholly inappropriate use of their public service announcement to have it pasted to a student's cupboard door as a kind of 'rock poster'.

Between that and the random cherub poster, I start to realise what a messed up soul I can be at times.

My tiny downstairs room in the house we rented from Len & Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc