Thursday, July 31, 2025

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Places Wot I Lived In


During my 50th birthday weekend return to Bournemouth (as covered last week), Paul was able to direct us to all the old houses we had stayed in during our three-year stint as students (20 years earlier!).

Above you can see the former guest house that I was billeted in during my first term (we were assigned accommodation initially by the university, but as mature students - I was 28 at the time - we were sent out into the sticks, stuck in random guest houses or family homes who liked the extra income).

In this first term, Paul was in a family home on the other side of the graveyard opposite my guest house.

After that first term, a few of us got together and moved to "Len & Jenny's house" - called that after the landlords. 

Len & Jenny's

Len and Jenny's was an old, cold, house, with a dark green Victorian colour scheme. I had the downstairs room (which necessitated me sleeping in an old jumper and a track suit most nights to stay warm).

Eventually we moved to our final house, which was a five-minute walk from university (hooray!). Although the rooms were allocated by lots, I was allowed to take the master bedroom - which you can see below, peeking over the hedge - which was gorgeous, bright and airy.

I posted pictures of my surprisingly neat room back in January.

The best house we stayed in...

And as a little bonus to our jaunt down memory lane, Paul and I were able to point out to Rachel the barber's shop, just round the corner from our final house, where we had got frequent haircuts.

Sadly, it appears to have (possibly only recently) finally gone out of business.

Yes, we did...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc