 |
| Rachel's birthday cake |
As it was Rachel's birthday this week, she took the week off work and we'd planned a selection of low-key events (
to take into account my current wheelchair-bound status): most of which revolved around food consumption!
 |
| This was as close as I got to Timmy |
MONDAY: We visited the
Raystede Animal Sanctuary to coo over all the cute animals they have rescued, support their charitable work, and say "hello" to Timmy, the alpaca we adopted on our previous visit. Unfortunately, the weather was a bit nippy and wet and so the alpacas were seeking shelter on the far side of their massive estate, quite a distance from humans.
TUESDAY: 'Biscuit Club' (
my weekly exercise class) , which was very exhausting, but satisfying. Then, in the evening, Paul popped down to see how I was getting on, give Rachel some wine for her birthday, and shoot the breeze. This was really cool of him, and we all shared a delicious Indian takeaway.
 |
| Alice and I admiring my bubblegum-flavoured milkshake |
WEDNESDAY: Lunch at the exquisite
TJ's American Diner, where Rachel and I filled our faces with yummy food and massive
Wonka-esque milkshakes. As a canine-friendly venue, it even offered a menu for dogs, meaning Alice (
who was a BIG hit with the staff) got her own meal - which she hoovered up in about 10 seconds, as is her way.
THURSDAY: Our car was due in for its first annual service, so Alice and I stayed in (
watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and sundry YouTube featurettes) while Rachel was at the garage. She then returned with a
McDonald's for lunch - but sadly our store was out of milkshakes and McFlurrys (
because I hadn't consumed enough milk and ice cream in the last 24 hours!).
 |
| Rachel's parents join us in celebrating her birthday |
FRIDAY: Rachel's parents came over to mark their daughter's birthday. We drove round the corner to our local pub and restaurant,
The Vauxhall Inn, which has had a facelift - and change of ownership - since I was last there. The food was, of course, delicious and I was touched by the small gestures of kindness from the staff and other patrons when it came to accommodating my limited mobility.
 |
| The party posse! |
SATURDAY: One of Rachel's oldest school friends - who also celebrates her birthday this week - came round with her family, so we could all dine out in our garden. It was a lovely, fun end to Rachel's birthday week and we managed to spend more than 10 hours in the garden (which is why I was extra tired - and a bit grumpy - today).
HEALTH UPDATE: The doctor we spoke with at the hospital,
when I had my MRI scan, rang on Friday to tell us he'd forwarded my discharge notes to my GP. He'd spoken to specialists at King's hospital in London and the consensus was I didn't need surgery on my spine (
the disc should, eventually, return to its correct position, but some physio wouldn't hurt). However, he said, the prolapsed disc didn't explain the sudden onset weakness in my legs. It could be connected to my stroke, but, at the moment it remains a mystery. Hopefully, my orthopaedics referral appointment in a couple of weeks might be able to shed some light on the matter or suggest a different treatment regime.
No comments:
Post a Comment