Thursday, February 6, 2025
THROWBACK THURSDAY: Radio Cracker
Back in the late '80s there was a charity organisation called Radio Cracker that helped 'pop-up' local radio stations run over the Christmas period to raise cash for good causes.
I was working as a sub-editor at the Kent & Sussex Courier at the time, along with my 'partner-in-crime' Alastair Monk, who was also working part-time for Radio Kent. Radio was Al's big love when it came to his career and he'd gotten involved with Radio Cracker the year before, running a show in Hastings.
This year, he'd found out that Radio Cracker was setting up shop at the top of an old office block in Tunbridge Wells... and we signed on to do the evening show!
I have to say, as hilarious as it all was, I thought we did a pretty solid job. Alastair, of course, was a professional anyway (he still works for the BBC), but I don't think I totally disgraced myself.
As well as playing tunes, we used our airtime to showcase friends and work colleagues who were in bands - having them in our makeshift studio for interviews and live sessions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc


No comments:
Post a Comment