Friday, February 7, 2025

Folio Society's New Superman Book Arrived Faster Than A Speeding Bullet!


My first (and I suspect only) purchase from the legendary Folio Society arrived today, an utterly gorgeous, hardback collection of classic Superman stories through the years, encased in a solid slipcase with a standalone replica of 1931's Superman #1.

A high quality companion piece for the monster-sized Superman: The Definitive History that I treated myself to for Christmas, DC: Superman reprints a dozen key stories from the life of the Man of Steel chosen - and introduced - by former president, publisher and editor-in-chief of DC Comics Jenette Kahn.

From Superman's earliest outings in the 1930s to his death at the hands of Doomsday in 1993, and concluding with the painted brilliance of 1999's Peace on Earth by Alex Ross and Paul Dini, DC: Superman is an immaculately reproduced collection of the hero's most significant 20th Century adventures.

Released this week, the exquisite 312-page book also includes a rare 1934 letter (four years before the character's debut in Action Comics #1) from Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel, pitching the original concepts and ideas for the character.

I ordered the book on Tuesday (when it became available), it shipped on Wednesday and I was expecting the tome to arrive early next week. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when the Evri delivery driver rang our doorbell this morning (Friday) to hand me the FS branded box containing my latest gift to myself.

Perhaps, one day, if the Folio Society produces a similar volume for, say, the Fantastic Four I might be able to twist my own arm to splash out for a second such prestige purchase.

But, in the meantime, I am more than happy with the deluxe DC: Superman. Now, I just need to find a suitable space on my shelves to display it.

I'm a sucker for a branded delivery box
Mission statement fulfilled with my Superman purchase
Not only did the book come wrapped like a present, it was packed in cardboard mesh to keep it safe
The main book glides out of its casing, while Superman #1 has its own envelope
This is probably the most authentic reproduction vintage comic I've ever seen
The comic strips are all crisply reproduced and easy to read

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc