Wednesday, January 14, 2026

The Three Deaths Of Your Player-Character


Reading The Three Deaths Of Conan, from 1990's The Savage Sword Of Conan The Barbarian issue 176, my mind began to ponder the role-playing potential of the situation our Cimmerian hero found himself in.

Penned by Chuck Dixon and Gary Kwapisz, The Three Deaths sees Conan ensnared by a sorcerer who then taunts him with predictions of his ultimate fate, extrapolated from Tarot-like cards - the first three of which presage grizzly deaths (or, in one case, a 'living death').

In the comic, each of these possible futures is played out as a story-within-the-story, so could you do this with a player-character in your game?

In a sense I see this as a variation on my "How I Met Your Mother" thought-experiment, but with the position of narrator shifting from one of the players to a powerful NPC (in this case, a mighty sorcerer).

This set-up would also, I guess, work better in a one-on-one situation with the player running a high-level character he really has a vested interest in.

The DM - as the mage - would draw a number of 'cards' and then play out, with the PC, a mini-scenario that is a possible 'future' for the character. Clearly it would have to be a particularly gruelling scenario, although not unbelievably biased, that the character would have only a slim chance of surviving.

Would you - as DM - have pre-designed these scenarios or would you feel brave enough to really draw cards from a pack and wing a scenario, based on your knowledge of the character and player?

Obviously, none of the damage the character sustains during this "vision" will be "real" - but what rewards would the character gain? Possibly experience points - for having 'lived through' the moment - but also some circumstantial bonus to future die rolls should he ever find himself in a situation that mirrors the scenario that the mage claimed was his possible future.

Perhaps this is a bit too "new school" for us "old school" grognards, but I could see this being an interesting diversion during an established campaign when not all the players can make it one evening.

In the comic, the sorcerer drew a fourth card, which he never got to see, that showed Conan wearing a crown and sitting on a throne...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...this is something I want to put some thought into! It seems great for 1-DM-1-player games, which is a lot of what I play now. (It makes me think of Force visions and similar phenomena in Star Wars...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know if you get any mileage out of this. The more I think about the idea, the more I accept that it would probably work best as a "one-on-one" scenario.

      I like your Star Wars angle.

      Delete

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc