Thursday, January 1, 2026

"For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear, For Auld Lang Syne"


For the first time in years, Rachel and I opted not to stay up and see the New Year in last night, instead we watched It's A Wonderful Life and headed to bed by about 10.30pm.

Unfortunately, come midnight and the local fireworks began crackling and popping around the neighbourhood, Alice freaked out and woke me up.

The poor pup was doing her usual jumping off the bed, then asking to be picked up, then jumping off again - all while panting like a small, furry steam engine.

Even once the fireworks stopped, she didn't - anticipating sudden loud noises that never came.

I think it took the better part of an hour to finally calm her down so that she would go back to sleep.

I soon followed, but my circadian rhythm was already disrupted and I awoke again around 6am, knowing I wouldn't nod off again any time soon.

On the plus side, this allowed me to hit my "Read Judge Dredd Every Day" target before the sun had even risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc