Sunday, November 2, 2025

Record-Setting Halloween Visitors Are Surprise Exercise Boost

Some of Rachel's wonderful decorations
Halloween this year was a wildly busy affair at our house. In a span of around two hours, we had almost 150 young trick-or-treaters (in 48 groups) knocking at our door for their requisite sweet collection.

We got the impression - from some of the accompanying parents - that kids were being ferried into our street by car (there certainly aren't 150 younglings living around here). Clearly our neighbourhood has gained a reputation for the quality of its Halloween bounty.

This also meant pretty much every time I'd sat back down in my recliner after helping Rachel hand out some sweets, there would be another knock or doorbell ring and I'd have to heave myself back onto my feet (often carrying Alice at the same time). Not an easy task, given my current physical state, but I certainly hit my quota for "sit-to-stand" exercises this week! Hit - and exceeded! 

Alice doesn't really do costumes - but seemed okay with a bandana
My walking is definitely showing signs of improvement, but is still way off normality. I'm getting round the house more-and-more unaided, but still holding onto walls, furniture etc

I had an appointment with an NHS physio, but after he had taken my extensive medical history almost half my time slot had been taken up and we then had to rush through a selection of more exercises to add to my busy fitness schedule.

I love our National Health Service, but they really need to do something about syncing up all their computers to share details of a patient's history - to avoid having to retell it every time you interact with a new hospital, department, doctor etc

Rachel also insisted that I monitor my blood pressure for a week (as had been recommended during my recent hospital visit) and it turned out to be rather on the high side (a concern given my aortic aneurysm two decades ago).

So, I rang my GP to book an appointment - about updating my blood pressure medication - only to be told she couldn't see me until December!

Luckily, I already had an earlier date (the middle of this month) booked for something else and so told the receptionist I would use that slot instead. There was then a minor kerfuffle over switching the "reason" for my visit as, apparently, the doctor will only see you for one complaint per visit!

My main assistance on the road to recovery remains my weekly trips to "biscuit club", the strength and stability class run by the charity Involve. There's only three of us in the class, which means we get expert, personalised care and instruction. The course runs until early next year, but Rachel is insistent - because she sees all the good this is doing me - that I find another, similar class to join afterwards.

Meanwhile, I'm still awaiting a date for my steroid injections in my spine.

Maybe next year we'll go more hardcore with our costumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, superheroes, comic books, westerns, horror, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc