Thursday, January 2, 2025
THROWBACK THURSDAY: Paradox Comics
My "friendly local comic book store" is over 100 miles away (103 to be exact, according to Google Maps).
Like a great many things in my later life, I'm sure it was Paul who first drew attention to the existence of Paradox Comics in Poole, Dorset, while we were at university just down the road in Bournemouth in the late '90s.
In many ways finding Paradox was a life-changing moment.
Honestly, I can't remember exactly how "into" comics I was at that time.
Although I had boxes and boxes of back issues stored in parents' loft, I know I wasn't still getting the massive monthly shipments I had when the combination of my first regular salary met the concept of mail-ordering regular comic books in the mid-'80s.
But since discovering Paradox, comics have now taken their rightful place as a firm cornerstone of my geeky existence.
Not only have I remained a loyal customer for the intervening 20 years (currently receiving parcels of new releases every fortnight, with the most recent dropping on my doormat this very morning), but store owner Andy Hine has become a firm friend (Rachel and I even paid the shop a visit during our honeymoon on the south coast).
When I was initially hospitalised after my aneurysm a decade ago, Andy and Rachel made sure I didn't miss any of the titles I was following at the time (this was a whole new world for Rachel, and she said Andy was enormously helpful as she didn't really know what she was doing).
This was a welcome fillip once I felt able to read again and I haven't stopped since then.
Although my reading of novels has taken a bit of a hammering of late, I still like to dip daily into the enormous "to be read" pile of comics that sits by my side of the bed (much to Rachel's horror).
Even if I only manage one issue in an evening I feel as though I'm still keeping the faith, and lowering the stack slightly before the next welcome shipment arrives from Poole.
Labels:
bournemouth,
comics,
flashback,
health,
paradox comics,
paul,
rachel,
real life,
throwback thursday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc
No comments:
Post a Comment