Saturday, March 22, 2025

Split (2016)


Split is a strange film. Like its central character, it has multiple personalities. It begins as a Hitchcockian kidnap thriller, but very quickly starts to seed its narrative with suggestions of something more, something much more "superhero (or in this case 'supervillain') adjacent".

I've been burnt way too often by M. Night Shyamalan movies that I now tend to avoid them on principle, life being too short for repeated unnecessary disappointment or frustration.

Which is why I'd originally planned to give Split a wide berth, until it was revealed that Shymalan was working on a sequel to one of his superb early movies, the inventive superhero origin tale Unbreakable. However, this new film - Glass - was also going to be a sequel to Split.

Well, that I was it. I now had to see Split. And I'm glad I did... even if just for the final few seconds.

Three young students (Anya Taylor-Joy, Jessica Sula, and Haley Lu Richardson) are kidnapped and held prisoner by Kevin (James McAvoy), a man with 23 distinct personalities, each with its own voice, strengths, and weaknesses.

Gradually, the young girls learn that they are being prepared as sacrifices for a 24th personality - called The Beast - which is due to manifest soon.

Just shy of two hours in duration, there's no escaping the fact that Split is a patchy affair.

Possibly my total immersion was hobbled by the "Shyamalan Factor", I was always looking for that bonus plot twist (Is this real? Are the girl's real? Is his psychiatrist real? Is this is all a figment of one of the girls' imaginations?), when it's actually played pretty straight.

All the kidnapees are quite resourceful, but the Final Girl is clearly set up to be Taylor-Joy's outsider, Casey Cooke, as we learn more about the roots of her resourcefulness in flashbacks to hunting trips in her youth with her father and creepy uncle.

There's a lot of the claustrophobic horror of Silence Of The Lambs here, as well as moments that reminded me of Hannibal, but McAvoy's Kevin is drawn from the world of comic book science (like David Dunn) rather than the real world verisimilitude of Hannibal Lecter.

However, given that McAvoy is obviously the star of the feature, I found Casey's story dissatisfyingly unresolved, unless I missed a key point somewhere, particularly in respect to her vile uncle (Brad William Henke).

With the impending release of Glass, which unites the two movies, Split is the supervillain origin story to Unbreakable's superhero story, but it doesn't come across as a self-contained work.

Where the Bruce Willis movie feels like a self-contained work, Split feels like chapter of a longer story.

This makes me wonder if Casey is poised to return in Glass, tying up the loose threads of her story, along with Bruce Willis' David Dunn and James McAvoy's Kevin Crumb?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My pop culture Odyssey: a slice of super-powered geek life with heavy emphasis on pulp adventure, horror, comic books, westerns, superheroes, sci-fi, giant monsters, zombies etc